Thursday, July 16, 2009

Learn to Like Wine in '09

You've heard me drone on about my rhyming yearly mottos. Yes, I've made mention of the plan to "Get a Date in '08." Did I do what I set out to do? In so many words... sure. I like to let my 'yes' be 'yes' .... or at least my 'yes' be 'uh, yeah, sure.' 

So, I've said a few words about this year's ambition to "Design in '09." Things are coming along right nicely with this dream, as detailed on this here blogspot o mine.

Have you heard me mention, however, my latent desire* to "Learn to Like Wine in '09?" If not, you heard it here now. My curiosity has been fermenting. It's time for a taste!

My first foray will be into the realm of Argentine wine. As a novice (and a die-hard lover of flavorful adjectives), I choose to take my first sips of these dark red wines simply on account of them being described by some as "rick, dark and juicy." I plan to begin my investigation with a little Malbec, which I read here, is the "backbone of the Argentine wine industry."

In my research (a la Wikipedia, a self-affirmed valuable information resource), I found that Argentina is the world's 5th largest leading wine producer. Though it had a history of focusing on quantity rather than quality, the tides have somewhat recently been changing due to increase in exportation. Before the 90's rolled around, Argentines consumed 90% of the wine that they produced. Nowadays, there is a lot more sharing, and for that reason, the quality has improved by leaps and bounds. Because the vineyards down there aren't susceptible to a lot of the bugs and fungi that affect other areas, Argentina is able to cultivate grapes without (or with small amounts of) pesticides. And you know what that means....Organic wines!

Alright, enough talk, right? Tonight, dear reader, I'll uncork two varieties and record my honest-to-goodness-I-don't-know-a-darn-thing-about-this opinions here. Check back for a full report.

*Due to unforeseeable circumstances, the skirt! sponsored wine tasting scheduled for tonight was, in fact, cancelled. My sincerest apologies to any who were planning to attend.

1 comment:

Paul said...

"My curiosity has been fermenting." Brilliant.