Friday, July 10, 2009

1001 Journals


I'd been awaiting the Netflix arrival of 1000 Journals for months... When it came in all its red-enveloped glory a couple of nights ago, I could hardly contain my delight.

The story tracks one man on his experiment of sending 1000 blank journals out into the world. He marked each book with instructions to fill the pages, register it on the website for tracking purposes and pass it along. Over several years, each book traversed the map, spending time in the hands of an extremely diverse group of artists, poets, people. 

They didn't all make it back to their originator. But the ones that did contained such dynamic and heartbreaking stories of honest human life. The pages created community between disconnected souls. 

Break me off a piece of that! 

I clicked over to 1001journals.com and signed up to take part in the spin-off project. Here's hoping that I can get my own hands on one of these beautiful collections to leave a smudge of my own life in the beautiful mess.

No comments: