Sunday, July 5, 2009

A Prayer for the Journey

O Christ, do not give me tasks to equal my powers,
but give me powers to equal my tasks,
for I want to be stretched by doing things too great for me.
I want to grow through the greatness of my tasks, 
but I shall need your help for the growing.
-E.Stanley Jones

I would be lying to tell you I've slept soundly the last few nights. Each morning (despite the hour I've retired), I've woken early with loud and speeding thoughts. My eyes have opened, refusing to close back and allow for my mind to hit the snooze. It's never worked that way for me. I'm still the girl who would stay up for hours at night, thinking about space and my place in an unfathomable universe. My thoughts....those buggers have always had the power to overcome my rest.

But, mark my words. I will rise each morning when those thoughts come knocking at my slumber. I will go straight into His presence. You heard it here. I will not let worry or anxiety drive my next steps. I will brew my morning cup, I will find my seat in the sunroom, I will open up the Good Book and let His honey pour out over my hungry heart. 

I will pray to not be in a hurry to leave his presence. I will pray to let my mind's workings cease, and let His Words speak. For this is the most productive thing I can do. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I was just thinking and praying for you this morning as I read the Good Book. 1 Corinthians 7 in The Message...oh, Paul. You've got some explaining to do. :)