Monday, June 1, 2009

Design 09, Revisited


Remember when I set out on this new year with high hopes of realizing some artsy dreams?

Well, because my God has filled my own ideas and acts of faith with His energy, because He has fully equipped me to accomplish what I set out to do, because He is faithful....

I have some big news! 

Numero Uno: I have designed a website, and it is now LIVE at www.writingherstory.com. Check it out! It's still got a few links that are "in draft," but this web space now houses my online resume as well as some of my ongoing creative processes. I stumbled upon the picture on its homepage a few months ago. The shot was taken during my last summer in Athens, right before I moved to Birmingham to begin a new life. Little was certain that summer, as I drove away from what was familiar and towards what was unwritten. I clung to the scriptural promise that my mother repeatedly prayed for me: that the favor of the Lord would rest upon me, that the works of my hands would be established

That was TWO years ago. I marvel at the way I have been provided for -- the people that have filled my life with their beauty, art, laughter and wisdom, and the ventures that I have found myself working in and towards. How often do we sit back and really think about the prayers we've prayed and they ways that they've been answered in unique ways? I am indebted to the God who sees me, the God who hears my voice. 

The image of the vine-covered railroad crossing has certainly come to mean something quite significant for me. I've been at a creative crossroads, grappling with the implications of finding real uses for my interests. I can remember being the little girl who used markers and paste to create Cory's Story magazine in the basement of our home. I can still see the mark of a "Cory and Co." signature cards I created for family and friends to celebrate every special occasion. Hallmark? Puh-lease. I can still hear my little girl voice answering the age-old "What do you want to be when you grow up?" question. "An artist," I'd say. So, as I embark on the next pages of my story, I remember where I stood, look ahead to where I'll go, and trust that I'm still being written into a masterful tale. 

Along those lines, my second announcement is also an exciting one. I've long been fawning over the art of letterpress. It's such a lovely marriage of new and old technologies. After Providentially meeting a generous-beyond-generous local couple, I've recently had the chance to design and press-into-print my very first product. Check my website under "herCRAFT," or visit www.corybo.etsy.com to get a looksy at my very first attempt at the letterpressed notecard. I'm quite serious about learning and growing in this art, so stay tuned!

Exciting things on the horizon, as I seize the energy offered me by the God who created me for good works! 


2 comments:

Paul said...

Your links.....they dont werk :(

Melissa said...

i LOVE the cards, cory! so great!! and the website is just lovely.

awesome, friend!