Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Finding My Resolve


She's not just some precious lady in a cute dress. She's a woman with a mission to accomplish and a statement to make. She is the one behind The Uniform Project -- a year long commitment to dress up news about a worthy charitable cause. For 365 days, she has devoted herself to wearing the same dress, jazzing it up with different homemade accessories. In doing so, she hopes to make a fashion statement about sustainable wardrobes, about creativity and about education in India.

For me, a girl who lived and died by the six-week-no-repeat-policy, this is quite revolutionary. But, I love the philosophy of her day-to-day creative process. Check out the gallery of outfits this girl has rocked since she began in May. I venture to say,  we all might be a bit more inventive with our looks if our choices were likewise limited.  

All that to say, I admire her sense of style.
I admire her heart for children. 
I admire her artful take on life.
But, more than anything, I admire her stick-to-it-ness.

It's been half a year since I spilled this guilty confession about my own lack of resolve. Hitherto that time, I was a spouter-off of ideas with little drive to see them to completion. That was then. This is now. 

I'm a changed woman, I tell you. 

Thanks to this guy, who says: 

Because we know that this extraordinary day is just ahead, we pray for you all the time—pray that our God will make you fit for what he's called you to be, pray that he'll fill your good ideas and acts of faith with his own energy so that it all amounts to something, 

I'm encouraged. I may have the ideas, but He supplies the ambition. That's good news. I'm also reminded of the wise words of Mr. Longfellow, who advises both to "labor and to wait." It pays to revisit the promises of my past, the products of other's resolutions, the sage words of those that have come before me and the truth that is unchanging. 

1 comment:

Catherine McDuffie said...

this is hardly related, but i have this friend who tried a "social experiment" and wore 1 color per month for a year. she only came up with 11 colors so december was "christmas theme!" wooo. she had all these rules about not buying anything extra for the experiment and not allowing herself to tell anyone what was going on unless they asked her. soo crazy! love the dress with the cause though, a m a z i n g.