Friday, July 31, 2009

Found My Voice


It was quite a shock when I discovered my affinity for shameless shower singing. I was in college, in the grand ole University of Georgia's Church Hall. There was something about the combination of new friends, uncovered confidence and bathroom acoustics that inspired my premier belt out.

I don't remember the day, I can't recall the melody, but as soon the first note flowed, I couldn't put a cork in it. It was simply the result of my towel wrap/shower flops/caddy experience. For a girl that was painfully shy in high school....For a girl that didn't talk to boys until she was well into her late teens... For a girl that had a hard time speaking up in history class without turning beet red.... Yes, it was a new tune.

While I have not the voice of the angel that often fill my earbuds, I sing. In the kitchen, as I'm dressing, when I'm home alone. I sing not because I have an audience-worthy voice. (I hold fast to the belief that I have not a musical bone in my body. My prodigy-pianist sister got my portion of talent.)

Don't get me wrong. I don't sing because I sound good. I sing because it is an outpouring. Because sometimes a girl's cup just overfloweth.

No comments: