Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Uncultured Palate

As promised, The New Wine Drinker's take on two fine wines...

I'm not going to feign a pretentious wine-o review. I know little to nothing about the stuff, save that I took my first real taste of it during church communion just two years ago. Yes, I have memory of going towards the cup, fully expecting grape juice. What resulted was a mouthful of a much spiky-er substance that left me shocked and chin-dribbling all the way back to my chair.

Despite my inexperience, I will hereby attempt to give an honest-to-goodness statement about the following two Argentine wines. If nothing else, you may get a laugh from the alcoholic education of Cory Bordonaro. 

Picture this.... gathered round the table with brie, crusty bread, jazz music, wine and friends. If you're going to do it, do it right, no?

1. Bodega Uno Malbec/Bonarda Blend (2008)

This wine is a 60% Malbec, 40% Bonarda blend. The latter is derived from Italian grapes, whereas the first is French in origin. I learned that a wine that combines more than one type of wine is called a blend, rather than a varietal. I also read up on tannins -- those components of a wine that cause the dry, puckery feeling. There were definitely some of those boogers in this full-bodied blend. 

As instructed by my more-knowledgeable counterpart, Ryan, I first took in a noseful of the wine. The first sip was a swirl/smell/swallow combination, followed by a slower, more aerated slurppy sip. 

Ryan's conclusion: "Sweet entry, mellow delivery, not real bitter." 
My conclusion: "Hm....a smidge sweet, pretty mild. Hey, Mickey, he likes it!"

2. Parados Malbec (2008)

This wine was described by as rich with "wild berries and black currant." To be quite frank, I didn't get that. Call my palate uncultured, if you must. Because this wine is varietal, it had a stronger denser taste. 

Ryan's conclusion: "Initial buttery texture, smoky in the back of my throat, grapey finish."
My conclusion: "If the Malbec/Bonarda is the cashmere of wines, this Parados Malbec is the wool sweater." 

Cheers, and may you soon have the chance to enjoy your own slow sip of Argentine wine with friends!

No comments: