Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Pass it On

There are several reasons why I still occasionally mourn the loss of my editorial position at skirt!. I miss the advance copies of books, I miss the freebies to events, I miss the nation-wide community of staff. But, more than any of that, I miss the platform to talk about THINGS THAT MATTER.

During my year and a half in the job, I had the opportunity to meet hundreds of men and women with heart-breaking, joyous, inspiring tales to share.

I got to listen.
I got to learn.
I got to tell their stories.

I do, however, realize that doesn't necessarily have to cease. And thus, I'd like to take the opportunity to tell you about four charity events set to take place here in Birmingham in the coming weeks. I've had the pleasure of knowing and working with advocates of each group, and can say with full heart, these people are bravely speaking up for those that can't.

1. Birmingham Bombshells presents "A Picture of Health" on July 30th at the Redmont Hotel. (Click to enlarge graphic and read more event details.) This action-packed event will feature the oh-so-talented Angela Karen and her vintage pin-up photography. The cost of the ticket covers you for a swanky time on the Redmont Rooftop, complete with drinks, food, music and a photo session. Proceeds of the event go to benefit our local Ovarian Cancer Foundation.


2. Bedouins International presents a "Banquala" on August 1st at 6:30pm at Woodrow Hall. This group of firecrackers travel the world to document and communicate stories of those suffering silent. The Bedouins use high-quality media to create the tools to spread the word to those that can do something to help. When founder, Stephen DeVries, is not shooting extravagantly beautiful weddings, he's out and about advocating for the vision of this 501c3 that uses photography, video and music to speak volumes! I'm so grateful to have had the chance to work with Stephen at skirt! He's a real talent. But more so than that, he's got a BIG vision. Don't miss this event. More info here


3. The Hispanic Interest Coalition of Alabama (HICA) presents Alma Latina on August 13th at The Rare Martini in Lakeview. The event, taking place from 6-9pm, will feature a tequila tasting, salsa dance lessons and performances by Dancing with the Stars' Fabian Sanchez and a silent auction. Ole! The event celebrates HICA's tenth year as a statewide nonprofit that seeks to assist Latin immigrants gain access to healthcare, education, legal counsel and/or a place in our community. For more information and to purchase tickets, visit his hispanicinterest.org.


3. She Dances presents "Art Brings Hope" on September 25th at the Matt Jones Gallery, beginning at 6:3opm. Just a few weeks ago, I had the immense pleasure of visiting with Nedra, co-conspirator of this local nonprofit that seeks to bring awareness and assistance to domestic and international human trafficking. I was greatly looking forward to featuring her husband, (and founder of the organization), Jeremy Springer. Since I likely won't have the chance, allow me to say a few words about his vision. While living in California, Alabama-native, Jeremy had the chance to face the reality of injustice when he saw a young woman burst forth in dance on the street. After he learned that she had been a sex trade victim, he conjured the dream for She Dances with the aim to liberate other young women and girls up to dance in freedom. Read more about it here. Tickets ($50/ea) can be purchased online after July 28th or at the door. 

Please do read up on these noteworthy organizations and the courageous folks who head them up. There is redemption among us. Let's be a part of it.

1 comment:

Annie said...

Reading your last few posts has been so inspiring. I love how God is showing ways you can be used even without a 9 to 5 (for now!).

And... I miss you! Can we catch up soon?