Monday, August 3, 2009

I Want to Walk and Not Run

(For those of you not familiar with the early works of the Dixie Chicks, my title today is a little homage to this classic ditty. My post today, however, has exactly nothing to do with dreaming under starry skies with western-clad good old boys. I assure you. Are you still holding that grudge? Please. I beg of you. For the love of all that is good and fair. Read on.)

My thoughts today center on the pace at which I live my life. After several attempts to teach and train a faster speed, I resign. I am a walker. I will always prefer the more controllable, more relaxed, more-time-for-observation steadiness of a good walk.

I'm not just talking about my neighborhood walks, though this idea does hold up quite nicely to those as well. I'm speaking also on my mental, my spiritual, my relational journey. Some might call me a late bloomer. Some might say I'm behind the times.

I operate slower than most. I do declare that I never want to scurry to keep up. I do not want to be hasty in making the decisions that mean something.

Enough with the ambiguity.... Last night at church, we discussed our four pillars of covenant membership, the first of which is an emphasis on believer baptism. To be quite honest, until I texted my mother in a flurry of confusion, I wasn't even sure that I'd been sprinkled as a baby. You see, I was born into the Presbyterian church, mostly raised Methodist. I came to believe nearly 11 years ago, and never took part in a believer's baptism.

It wasn't really an issue I considered. Call me ignorant.

But, last night got me thinking. My initial reaction was comparison. It seems to me that others have already processed through this. They're chomping away on a meal, and I'm still slurping my milk.

It took a night's sleep and a good neighborhood walk + this podcast for me to conclude that in not obeying Jesus' command to be baptized that I am making a choice to not identify myself with him or the body to which I am undeniably a part of. And so, I pray my way through these next few weeks as I consider what it really means to make this declaration publicly.

I am a follower of Christ.
I identify with him in his death and resurrection.
While I am not saved by this act, it is a symbol.
While I am not required to be immersed to become a member of my church, I will.
While I do so with some questions, I will be obedient.

I'm a walker, I tell you. I'm taking slow steps. I pray simply that I will have restored to me the joy of my salvation as I consider what it is to be likened to believers everywhere --and Jesus himself-- in this act.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

thanks for this post, cory. your words and walk encourage me more than you know.

you're in my prayers.

...and if you need a fellow cowgirl to take you away, away from buildings, and into the open air, we can go peach picking!!! i went this morning and it was further away than blueberry picking, but it took about 3 minutes once we got there...

let me know :)

Lauren M said...

ooo this is so exciting cory! i made the decision this year as well and was baptized in may. it was a wonderful experience and a great testimony to my family and to chris's. i'll be praying for you as you go through the decision process!

Annie said...

It's a big decision, but I think the symbolism, the act, is so deep and so beautiful. It feels good to come out of the water, feeling a little more clean, a little more one with the One who did it first.

Carla Jean said...

(As it happens, I love that song. And plaid shirt-wearin' men.)

Lots of meaningful thoughts in there, Missy. Please keep us posted. And please remind me to walk more often than I do.