Monday, July 5, 2010

A Backward Glance

(image nabbed from here)

I have a pretty terrible memory. If at work, it's not uncommon for me to take an order, and in the midst of my punching buttons and clamoring to hear over the grind of the espresso machine, have to ask a customer to repeat him/herself just seconds later. I'll often walk into a room with purpose, forgetting the resolve I had just minutes before to complete what seemed a most virtuous task. I'm no elephant, I tell you.

That's why I'm not surprised that I seem to have forgotten the words I myself penned here or here. We're past this year's midpoint, and it's high time I re-evaluate the goals I set for myself to both work and watch. During the last few months, I've felt my artistic growth has been slightly stunted. I've been prone to compare my existence with other's, tending to be a smidge dissatisfied with my own progress. My celebration of a quarter-century of life had me reeling in a bit of what-is-my-life? self-dialogue.

But, tonight, I pray this same prayer again. I thank God that I have record of His Words and my thoughts -- proof that the Potter's hand is still at work on this lump of clay.

No comments: