Thursday, July 1, 2010

A Tasteful Thought

A leafy array from local-farm, Owl's Hollow

Over the last several months, I've had the wonderful opportunity to write food-related articles for a weekly alternative paper here in town. As a result, I've learned more about what's going here among foodies, farmers and restauranteurs. I've been fed, challenged, and more than anything, inspired to get out to the farmer's market and into the kitchen to reconnect myself with the people and processes behind my own food. Last night, I was delighted to be able to attend a panel discussion with some community leaders who fight to raise Alabama's rank as being the 39th worst state in areas of Food Insecurity. Represented were the Magic City Harvest, Main Street Birmingham, West End Community Gardens, the United Way, Pepper Place Farmer's Market and Jones Valley Urban Farm. The list goes on, but suffice it to say that there is a grocery list of people in this city who are moving and shaking to create change for what is an inefficient and unhealthy food system for so many people in our midst. I am completely culpable of being uninformed and apathetic to the fact that healthy foods are not easily accessed or afforded in areas right down the street from where I live and shop. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all this thought-food. But, I am surely chewing it over, hoping I'll know how to come out from what can be viewed as (and may, at times, be) a superior foodie perspective to be able to help bring positive change about.

1 comment:

Frank said...

I stumbled upon your blog and thought that this was a wonderful entry. It is so important to support local food services available, especially because of it being organic and healthy for anyone.

One thing that might be successful in the specific town is opening up doors to a local farmer's market in the area once or twice a week. This will not only get the word out to other people but allow the producers to gain more attention that they are growing such a diverse product in their neighborhood. It can be a bit costly but when the product is so good and so organic, can you really complain?

A little food for thought from my end. :)