Tuesday, July 13, 2010

My Bread and Butter

It was a tradition.

When I was growing up, no matter what time of day it was, a return trip from the grocery store with a pint of ice cream always meant a supper-spoiling few spoonfuls of the perfectly-soft sweet stuff. My mom was the one who started it. It could have been ten minutes before a meal -- didn't matter. On the way from the from the grocery sack to freezer, you better believe that tub was first making a stop on the counter. Grab a spoon, girls, I can hear her saying. Then, we'd gather around the melty mess and indulge in a one (or two or three) hearty bites.

It may sounds silly, but today, I started my own mental tradition. If/when I have a family and if/when I master the art of bread baking, I too, will host these carefree taste tests. No matter what time of day or night a fresh loaf emerges from the oven, it'll be Grab a knife time. No question.

There's nothing like a house that swims in the smells of freshly baked bread, and further still, nothing like the taste of it warm from the oven. This afternoon, I baked the Olive Oil dough I made from this dear book. I infused the already-spectacular flavor with a little front-yard rosemary. The great news is, I've still got enough dough (good for the next ten days in the fridge) for at least two or three more loaves or pizzas. What a dream.

(Perhaps, I'll use what I've baked to try and recreate the crusty bread/creamy brie experience of my final lunch in the 4th arrondissement.)

3 comments:

Robert L. Conley Author said...

I was browsing through blogs and came across yours and as soon as I saw the bread I could smell the hot loaf inside my cranium as my olfactory synapsis tingled. There's not many things out there that does that to this old nose. You got me thinking that maybe I should push the stuff off the counter and grab a bag of flour and yeast and do it one more time just for the hell of it.

Amber said...

I had homemade wheat bread once. It made that stuff from the store taste like cardboard. It was sooo good...and there was honey butter to go with it :o)

louigi said...

I don't buy ice cream like I did when you were little, but on the rare occasion I do, I still get out the spoon before it goes in the freezer. Takes me back....mmmmmmm. Mom