Friday, July 30, 2010

A Year of Taking In

If Christmas can be in July, then gosh darn, New Year's can be in August. For me, it's a time to look forward and look back. As you may well know, I'm a proponent of the rhyming yearly motto. This year's mantra was/is: Begin again in 2010. Before it began, I declared this a year of trying new things, of learning, of being okay with the untraditional turns by which my life path has lead me. I've tripped up plenty of times on this walk, believe you me. I've forgotten gratitude for the freedom that this year has provided for me to invest and wait. But, it's not over yet. I've still got five months of this year to make good on my self-promise. Let the learning, the patience from henceforth abound.

In one of my favorite stories, two young lovebirds speak fondly about their time studying at Oxford. Their home was lovingly termed "The Studio," and was a place were tens of friends gathered on a daily basis for spirited conversation. It was a lively time, filled with mind-broadening new ideas and joy in the diverse company they kept. It was, as they said, "a time of taking in." I do believe this is the phase I'm now in. Surely, there will be a time of giving out, of passing onto others what has been taught to me. But for now, I am a pupil. God, open my eyes and mind for the taking in.

As of late, I've been inspired by: this blog where you can sign up to swap crafts with others and this book that details the history and work of some contemporary letterpress printers.


2 comments:

rebekah said...

Love to see the twists and turns your life is taking! One more step to world domination and beautification!

Annie said...

I loved your "begin again 2010" mantra, and I, too, am treating this half-way mark as a time to evaluate and redirect my life toward the simple and the intentional. Thanks, as always, for the inspiration!