Saturday, August 15, 2009

The God Who Sees Me

When the movie, August Rush, came out nearly two years ago, I could hardly contain my glee. I am a diehard (Felicity-originated) Keri Russell fan. She's a beautiful human being and stunning actress. Sure, this particular movie didn't get rave reviews. I knew that going in. But, gosh darn it if I wouldn't devote a couple hours of my life, just to spend the face-to-screen time with her.

That said, the movie was just about as over-the-top as critics claimed. All other actors performances were sub-par, and one of the main characters was nearly intolerable.

The movie, therefore, was a quite unlikely source for foundational wisdom. But, boy did I ever learn an invaluable lesson from it about the absolute Sovereignty of God.

The story tracks a young boy whose illegitimate birth is followed by adoption and a family life that never-really-was. Though the child lacks the love and support of a functional family, living most of his young years on the streets, he is somehow nurtured into discovering a remarkable musical talent. By some unbelievable Hollywood notion, the kid ends up at Julliard, taking classes, and then, directing his own major symphony.

The final scene links the entire story together, showing that in unearthing his music, he was able to bring peace and reconciliation to his parents, who by fate, meet again in the crowd of his phenomenal concert.

Of course, it's an unlikely story. Certainly, a lifetime of details can't come together to make harmonic sense in the span of just two non-film hours.

But, gollee, if I don't believe that our God is a capable of working together the pieces of our lives into something just as meaningful.

Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies. (Phillipians 4:9, the msg)

For years, I've held to this belief that my scattered, seemingly unrelated facets, experiences, relationships and interests can and will be integrated into something sensical -- better, something ravishingly beautiful.

For the sake of keeping watch on my loose tongue, suffice it to say I'm currently facing some BIG decisions about my livelihood. I certainly feel as though I'm on the brink of life-altering things. Details will come with time, I assure you. But for now, I have to rest in the truth that He's working me into a harmony.

I have to trust that He truly is the God who sees me, the God who knows my story and hears my prayers.

2 comments:

Stephen DeVries Weddings said...

I'm so excited for you Cory!!!

Emily Geyer said...

I watched that movie last night!! Great application! Thanks for sharing!

Oh, I'm Emily by the way :) Nice to meet you.