Sunday, August 23, 2009

Bring Hope To My Heart, Relief to My Mind

The cat is out of the bag. The deed has been done. The decision has been made.

In mid-September, I will depart from my little life here in Birmingham to go enroll in an 8-week concentrated letterpress program in Asheville, North Carolina at the Penland School of Crafts!

I don't much believe in coincidences. I don't think much of fate.

I do believe this has been working it's way out for a long while now.

You see, when I worked back at skirt!, I maintained a weekly blog. There was really no rhyme or reason to what I wrote about. When I got jazzed up about something, I shared it. That's precisely why I was enthused to be able to mention Penland here, after following a rabbit trail of my own research about this artists colony in the woods.

It was just an unreality then, as I sat behind the confines of my desk.

Alas!

When I lost my job just three months later, I was infused with the courage to chase my letterpress interests. Those first few days were adrenaline-filled. I was all over the place, dreaming dreams I'd been too comfortable to conceptualize for a long time.

That's when I remembered Penland.

So, I applied and have been accepted to the two month work-study program. I'll be learning from Bryan Baker, a seasoned artisan. I'll be living there on campus, toiling in the kitchen for a large part of my tuition, and soaking up the autumn beauty.

This decision has been troubling me for days.

While I'm not super rooted here, I do have a lease. I do have a (minimum-wage) paying job that I adore. I do have friends, bills, responsibilities here.

But, this opportunity knocked.

And so, after negotiating with my abundantly generous roommates, after talking with my bend-over-backwards-kind employer, I'm set to go. And, I'll be gone til November. I'll be gone til November.

Sure, I'm a little uneasy about escaping what has been several months of momentum-building time here. I'd be lying to say I didn't think about if/how I'll fit back into things upon my return. But, this opportunity knocked. Roared rather. And seized by a wave of bravery, I'm taking it. I'm chasing it. I'm not looking back (not even to wave goodbye to my diminishing bank account).

For those near and far, come pay me a visit. I hear Asheville is breathtaking in the fall.

Keep an eye on this blog as I'll be reporting live from Penland.

(Thank you to all of the without-words-wonderful people who have been SO instrumental in encouraging me towards this decision. Bette said it all, you truly are the wind beneath my wings).

(This song was the inspiration for my blog title.)

7 comments:

Stephen DeVries Weddings said...

I'm so excited for you Cory!!!!

Melissa said...

wow! i mean, wow, cory!

congrats, friend.

i look forward to hearing the scoop directly from your mouth this week.

you will be sorely missed those two months, that's for sure. i hope you know that.

Annie said...

Good for you! This is going to be such a great adventure! Enjoy it!

Erin Stephenson said...

Cory, I love it! Congratulations - I am so proud of your leap of faith and am pretty jealous you get to spend Asheville in the fall.

Erin Stephenson said...

Or spend fall in Asheville. sheesh - can you tell it has already been a week just in a day? ;)

Amanda said...

How exciting! It was so nice to finally meet you this weekend. I feel like less of a blog stalker now... (ha!)

Good luck with this next adventure! I can't wait to read all about it. (I am a little jealous on several fronts...I got to visit Asheville very briefly this summer and loved it. I can't imagine how beautiful it will be in fall!)

Abby said...

I will miss you when you are away, but don't you worry. There's a space here (a typecast, if you will) that only you can fill. And it will be here for you when you return. Maybe I'll even get to come visit you in asheville in the fall.