Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Another Year Older...






















...Another year wiser. That's how the aphorism goes, anyhow. As I near my own birthday, I have to say, I beg to differ. I seem to be Benjamin Button-ing backwards in wisdom. Countless times over the last two years (since leaving my institution of higher learning), I have found myself in the company of people who 100%, put me in my humble place.

When it comes to knowing things about my growing and changing industry, I'm a baby. Being around this guy gave me a kick in the pants (or skirt). One dimensional journalists (or humans!) are so yesterday.

When it comes to being steeped in knowledge and understanding of the Word and its implications, I'm an infant, still taking my milk from a sippy cup. My wonderful church has provided iron-sharpening fellowship, but I am no theologian. I am no servant. I need to listen far more than I ever do to speak. Watch and learn more than I ever do boast.

When it comes to relationships, I'm a failure-- a selfish and inexperienced weakling. I need not tell you that when people get in each other's faces, when lives intertwine, it is a messy and painful lot. But, I thank God for the full-length mirrors that are other people, provided to show me my sin.

When it comes to knowing myself, I'm still taking small steps. I feel like I'm in the cocoon, waiting and spinning... hopefully soon to emerge with the wings of a risk-taker. Read this beautiful book and you'll know what I'm talking about. I'm still figuring things out.

So, I am another year older. Sure. But, wiser? Quite likely not.

2 comments:

Carla Jean said...

The more I know, the more I realize I have yet to learn. I'm not so sure that humility isn't a form of wisdom in itself.

Annie said...

Happy early birthday... And I have to agree with Carla Jean: the admission that you don't know everything is a very wise step indeed.