Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Blueberry Whaaa?


If you would've asked me a year ago, I would have told you I didn't really like blueberries. Nope, I'd have said, "Yes, I've tried them. Unless under special circumstances, I just don't care for them." If you would have asked me for my opinion on raw tomatoes, my answer would have been similar. Likewise with chicken salad, but perhaps a with a little more vehemence, I might have replied: "H no to that mayonnaisey ick."

I cannot explain the why, but I have since warmed up to each of these three tastes. Not only that, but I seem to have an insatiable appetite for them. O'Carrs has perpetuated the idea with their fruit and chicken salad plate from heaven, Pepper Place's fresh tomato offerings have wooed me with their succulence. And Florence, Italy's Acqua al Due Blueberry Steak now has me salivating in my office chair. I recreated it for Father's Day this weekend. All parties agreed (with blue-dyed mouths) that it was a fruitful choice.

Blueberry Steak

I first tasted of this decadence when I studied abroad in Italy five years ago. I was hesitant, due to the fact that I wasn't keen on steak or blueberries. But, the menu item received accolades, restaurant patrons moaned in delight and I just had to try it for myself. While nothing can conjure up that premier Italian experience, this version of the recipe was quite delicious.

2 1/2 lb NY strip steaks, approx 1 inch thick
8 oz fresh blueberries
1/4 - 1/2 cup red wine (preferably a merlot or cabernet sauvignon)
1 tbs blueberry jam
1/4 tsp -1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 sprig fresh rosemary
salt & pepper

1. Remove the steaks from the fridge to bring them to room temperature, salt and peper each side of the steak and set aside on the counter. Heat oven to broil.
2. Put blueberries and red wine in a saute pan over medium heat. Let slowly he at up to a simmer then add the blueberry jam, about a teaspoon at a time. The jam is to add some sweetness, but it's best to add it slowly and continually taste to make sure the sweeteness is to your own personal taste.
3. Lower the heat to low, add cinamon and the rosemary sprig. Let the sauce cook so that it begins to reduce and thicken, approx 10 mins.
4. For 1 inch NY strip you can either grill or broil. I chose to broil. Place steak 3-4 inches from the heat, and broil for 12 mins turning every 4 or 5 mins for medium rare.
5. Remove the rosemary sprig from the sauce. Remove the steaks from the oven and place directly in saute pan. Cover with sauce and let sit in the sauce for approx 3-5 mins. Make sure to keep the heat on low as you do not want to cook the steaks anymore.

No comments: