Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Treasures Untold


In this here book, Kathleen Norris details a story once told her by a curmudgeon of a man she sort-of knew. He and his wife were given a leather embossed Bible by his grandfather on their wedding day. As per custom, they wrote him a thank you note and even verbally expressed their gratitude for the gift. Yeah, yeah, they were thankful. But, did they read the thing? Not a chance. It wasn't long before the gift was shelved in a closet.

But, gramps wouldn't let them forget it.

"How do you like that Bible?," he'd ask again and again.

"Oh, it's very nice. Thanks so much," the couple would reply, growing weary with every repetition of the scene. They were appreciative. Why wouldn't he let it rest?

Years later, the man would understand when he discovered that the gift-giver had placed 20 dollar bills intermittently throughout the pages of the Good Book. He had done so, knowing full well that his grandson wouldn't turn the pages to find them. There were over $1000 dollars tucked into the chapters of the book. It took him years to find it out, and cost him a pocketful of regret.

It's the same for me, though I know there are treasures to be found between the lines. I pray for "mine eyes to be opened to behold the wondrous things in [His] law," and yet I find my readings to be selfish, and often, quite superficial.

I know there are treasures untold in the ink. Even better, I know that in the reading, the Living God can and will write on the tablet of my human heart with His very Spirit. Let it be so.


No comments: