Thursday, February 18, 2010

This Season

This morning, I'm chew*-ing on the meaning of the Lenten season, in preparation for next weeks' chat. I'm taking a look at church history, putting a microscope to my own heart. I'm honestly feeling a bit ashamed of my inability to "do right" the season that requires a giving up of something. This is not an excuse to discipline myself into a healthier, more self-controlled lifestyle. This is not a season to cut out extraneous things from my life because it'll leave me saner, thinner, less hyped up on caffeine. It is a season of probing my sinful heart. It is a season of being dreadfully aware of my depravity, in preparation to really soak up what the Cross did for my reconciliation to God.

Any suggestions of things to read/listen to as I prepare for both this season and this discussion?

1 comment:

Paul said...

I was just reading Romans 7 and 8 last night. Although this is a passage full of hope, it definitely "probes our depravity".