Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Attention Deficit

I've tried three times unsuccessfully to finish watching a movie I started over a week ago. It's not a bad story line, the cast is phenomenal, the soundtrack, pretty dynamite. But, I sit down on the couch, and it's not five minutes before my mind is a million scattered places. I turn on my computer, and before I know it, I've clicked open five windows and started three separate emails to friend/co-worker/business contacts A, B and C. I'm a mess who is finding it increasingly difficult to get lost in any one else's story.

Oh, and you better believe I ordinarily love me a good story. I think we were all made with ears for narrative. Our minds to bear-hug tales of adventure and intrigue.

Sure, we're inclined to get wrapped up in the glory of cinematic/literary characters as they experience conflict, come out better for the story they've lived. But, right now, I'm pretty tuned in right now to writing my own story. I can't decide if it's right or wrong. Part of me thinks it seems a bit vain and ego-centric. I want so badly for the book of my life to be a page-turner.

Donald Miller seems to think that there are times that call for turning away from the screen and to our own lives. There are times to reflect on life as it was, as it could be and there are still other times, to live our present days in a way that will make Hollywood (and all its fancy plots) jealous of the stories we tell.

No comments: