Friday, January 29, 2010

To Not Run Ragged

This year of new beginnings is already eight percent underway. A few weeks and days into a fresh start already has me committed to new projects here, there and everywhere. While I look to the ideal of "living simply and intentionally," I also think of the woman on Proverbs' pages who rose early, stayed up late, worked her fingers to the bone, keeping busy with good things.

I, too, am busy. I've got irons in the fire. I'm writing, designing, creating/crafting. I'm working, I'm reading, I'm scheming.

I'm occupied, for sure. I'm occupied with good, profitable, fun things. But, I'm starting to run a little ragged. On days like today, it feels like the quality of life is, at times, a bit threadbare.

When I'm watching the clock instead of leisurely enjoying time during infrequent visits with friends, it's a problem.

When I'm rushing from one appointment to the next, chomping at the bit at every stoplight between me and my next destination, it's a problem.

When I feel like my "free" time is filled with frantic emailing, scribbling and in the end, little feeling of accomplishment, it's a problem.

This is when I stop, and remember that just a week ago, I was doing this.

This is when I stop and cry out in prayer to the God who offers rest.

This is when I sit back and remember the Sabbath was a day the Lord made, to reflect on all that He made that was good.

I love the image above because it gives me hope about my current condition. Pictured is a lovely arrangement of frayed/tattered/sun-worn fabrics, proving to me that what is seen by some as broken-down can be redeemed. I, too, hope and pray to find my shortcomings to be composed into such a scene -- that what seems fit for the rag pile today can be material for something beautiful tomorrow.

4 comments:

Carla Jean said...

YES.

Lindsey said...

I totally understand this feeling. It's funny that after our first conversation for chew, I dedicated to studying the idea of rest and Sabbath. And yet I feel a little overloaded as well. I'll be praying for the rest that your heart desires, and for the discipline it requires to actually take it.

jenna said...

I feel your pain.. Why is it so hard to live simply? Shouldn't that be the easier way?!

rebekah said...

I'm struggling with lethargy right now. Knowing all of these ideas are in my head, and not knowing how to focus in one direction, is draining my energy.