Sunday, January 17, 2010

Scrumdidiliumptious

I've found some resolve to return to the kitchen for more healthful, more intentional, more balanced cooking and eating. After months of it sitting on my shelf, today I pulled down Laurel's Kitchen: a gem of a vegetarian cookbook, written by a community of women in the 70's. Oh, if you care anything about the slow seasonal nature of cooking good food, get you a copy of this cookbook. Don't waste a minute. The verbose introductions to each chapter are themselves fit for feasting.

I tried the above recipe from December's issue of Real Simple this evening: Prosciutto-Wrapped Pork with Sweet Potatoes and Pear. So dang tasty.

Raise your glass for a return to home-cooking, to flavor and fresh.*

*I'm seriously debating whether or not to watch Food Inc.: a documentary about meat processing, local farming, etc. etc. It's been a topic of much recent discourse, and I'd be lying to say I'm not curious to see it myself. If I do watch it, will it change the way I shop and eat forever? Perhaps. Am I willing to risk what may cause a serious increase in my spending, general attitude and efforts? Maybe, just maybe.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Hey Cory, I found your blog through Annie's and also the new blog you guys are doing. This is definitely something I've been thinking about lately too. Have you heard of the blog eatingalabama.org? It's very interesting. They promoted food inc. I wholeheartedly believe in eating foods that are natural and fresh. I have PCOS and when I started eating better my condition improved to the point that there was no denying the advantages. Unfortunately, you're so right that it's more expensive. So that has made it hard to maintain. After reading your post, I'm reminded that the sacrifices necessary to eat healthy are worth it. If you haven't read these already, you might like them: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle (my favorite of these 3) by Barbara Kingsolver, The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan, and Fast Food Nation (yuck) by Eric Schlosser