Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Chew on This

When a friend of mine suggested that we (plus two more) take/make more time for meaningful (cross-state) discussions, I was quick to hop on board of her clever little projectwagon. Her specific idea was for a blog called chew*. It is essentially an avenue through which to discuss a chosen topic each month, electronically meeting once to talk e-face to e-face.

This month is the kick-off, tomorrow our very first foray into the iChat conference. I've been looking most forward to it, but have just as much enjoyed the preparation that falls right in line with this desire to chase my own musings.

Our discussion tomorrow will center on "living simply and intentionally." We'll ask what it means to live this way, if Scripture sets a model for it, if God desires it at all? We'll talk about the idea of simplification in light of the complexity and messiness of human relationships. While I don't imagine we'll arrive at any earth-shattering conclusions, I know I'll be better for having listened and learned from others who are running the race.

The following are some (of the countless) things that have crossed my mind as I've prepared:

-This quote by John Donne about both the simplicity and the complex majesty of Scripture:

Oh, what words but thine can express the inexpressible texture and composition of thy word; in which to one man, that argument that binds his faith to believe that to be the Word of God is the reverent simplicity of the Word, and to another, the majesty of the Word, and in which two men, equally pious may meet, and wonder, that all should not understand it, and the other, as much that any man should.

- Jesus' commands in Matthew 6 and in Luke 10 to "Seek first his kingdom and righteousness" and to "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, strength and mind...Love your neighbor as yourself."

- This idea that being busy is not a sin, just being busy with your own things.

- The story of Martha and Mary (in Luke 10) in comparison/contrast to the idea of the Proverbs 31 woman.

-Shane Claiborne and The Simple Way community he started in Pennsylvania. He says: "What we can say is that an encounter with Jesus will mess up and transform not only what we believe, but who we are -- our economics, our politics, our families, even our very lives."

-An urban-planner friend of mine who says: "I want to live a simple life. But I want to live in a complex world. For example, I want to live somewhere where I can walk down the street and at various places buy vegetables, cds, clothing, and coffee. This, to me, seems like a simple way to live - everything I want right down the street. But my city has to be very complex to allow me to do that. It has to be structured with enough people in such diversity that it makes sense to build small shops and sidewalks and neighborhood centers. It is much simpler to build one wal-mart than forty small stores."

I've got a heck of a lot rolling around in my head about it all. As always, I'd love to hear your thoughts.


4 comments:

Patrick said...

Can't wait to hear how you're chewing goes. I suggest you refer to the meeting colloquially as "Mama Bird, Baby Bird."

Amber said...

This is such an awesome idea! I love good conversation. I learn so much and it makes me realize that I have such incredible friends.

louigi said...

I suggest you read Freedom of Simplicity by Richard Foster. Lots of good stuff to chew on.

rebekah said...

Love the logo!