Thursday, April 8, 2010

A Call for Hearts and Minds


I write because I can.

I write because someone down the line of my upbringing, my education, my professional career told me that what I have to say is worth hearing.

I write because I am learning to communicate my heart in a million different ways.

I write because it is a way to connect with the people in my sphere and outside of it.

I write because I have vision, motor skills and the financial means to afford a computer, a pen, a journal.

Not everyone does.

Not everyone can.

I write because I can.

(If you have any interest in helping the under-encouraged writers right down the street from where you may live in Birmingham, please contact me. DISCO needs the hearts and minds of people who want to give high school kids the same chance to find their individual voices. This weekend, come out to Woodrow Hall for some information and to pitch in with getting things off the ground for the local Dave Eggers-founded tutoring program.)

No comments: