Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Yoga-Imparted Wisdom

I assumed the tree pose in yoga class yesterday, and was literally knocked off-kilter when I suddenly realized its deep connection to my spiritual life. During balance exercises, it is recommended for yogis to set their eyes on unmoving objects. If one looks to another class member who falters and falls, he/she is likely do the same. Even looking to the teacher--trained to maintain an immovable stance-- one is prone to wobble a bit.

Lessons in Yoga #1: Find a fixed object on which to set the gaze.

The lesson translates seamlessly to a life of following Christ. While Scriptures invite us to follow godly people who, in turn, follow His lead, there is still the opportunity for disappointment. We are susceptible to take our eyes off of Him who doesn't budge with temptations, shift on account of whims or change with trends. We are likely to be let down and disillusioned by people who, as much as they love us and admit to their learning, are nonetheless, just as capable of hurting us.

So, yesterday, as I found myself swaying with impermanence, I found a speck on the carpet. I locked my eyes to it, knowing it was sure not to move.

I soon felt myself steadying.

2 comments:

jenna said...

I love that you wrote this. I had a similar experience in my pilates class last week... I love how His truths are expressed in everything around us.

Melissa said...

great post. thanks for sharing.

i'd love to take a "real" yoga class with you after july 2 ;) i just blogged about my prenatal yoga class today.

see you on sunday.