Monday, March 29, 2010

Yeehaw Knoxville!

I spent a whirlwind weekend in Knoxville --the so called "Bermuda Triangle" of the Appalachians-- visiting friends and this great place: home to the motherload of clever, quality letterpressed goods. (Also to note: this is where my teacher at Penland worked before moving up to NYC to teach Book Arts).

Just a small sampling of their work.

These are the double doors that lead into a wonderworld.

Oh, you should see the drawers and drawers of typefaces.
Drool, drool, drool.

And custom-cast plates, wood carvings, cases of furniture, oh my!
For all you letterpress followers, can I get a witness?

This is downtown's Market Square, above which my friend lives in a pretty sweet little loft apartment.
(Btw: this eatery was a real delight.)

Gay Street: a truly bright and cheery place to stroll.

I even ran into an old friend there.

Icing on the cake was a step outside to the park
on a perfectly spring day.

The New York Times called Knoxville "the couch of the South." I suppose a weekend cozied betwixt the city's cushions could lead me to concur. It is relaxed and comfortable atmosphere was quite inviting. So, Yeehaw, ole Knoxville. Yeehaw.

No comments: