Thursday, January 22, 2009

Reading Rabbit Trails


I used to be a one-book-at-a-time kind of girl, but I recently had this moment in which I realized, HOLY COW! I've got some major literary catch up to play. So many books, so little time. I started reading one, which lead me on a trail to another and all of the sudden, my bookshelf was bending with the weight of my ambitious stack.

Here's what I'm digging into these days. Some of these, I've been reading (and gabbing about) for months, but with each new addition, my reading rate significantly decreases. Descriptions below, starting top left.


1. French Milk by Lucy Knisley. My first forray into the graphic novel.
2. This b.e.a.utiful book (The Gentle Art of Domesticity by Jane Brocket) compiles gorgeous photography with recipes and projects to make any domestic artist swoon.
3. Haven't started this one, Life Together, but am looking forward to reading this with a group of friends as we learn together how to strive toward Scriptural community.
4. This book, Celebrating the Christian Year, highly recommended by the ladies at Redeemer as well, is all about where holiday traditions originated and how their true meanings can be rediscovered in the ways in which we celebrate them in our homes and lives.
5. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith. Coming of age story of a little girl growing up poor in pre-World War I New York.
6. Crazy Love by Francis Chan.
7. Outstanding in the Field by Jim Denevan. One day, maybe I'll get to go to one of their dinner events. A girl can dream.
8. I'm reading this one, The Hidden Art of Homemaking, with a group of women at my church. If you haven't already read my ramblings about how much I'm enjoying it, read below. If you have and are bored with me, please skip to the following selection.
This (borderline-over-the-top-at-times) book about our Creator's love for beauty and creativity has caused my artistic resurgence. Artists are the ones who show up, after all. I love how Edith emphasizes how our domesticity can be used to glorify our Father, who prizes the things we've been made to appreciate, as well.
9. Young, Restless, Reformed: A Journalist's Journey with the New Calvnists by Collin Hansen

No comments: