Wednesday, July 2, 2008

A God Thing

So, maybe I'm rereading this old-favorite book series. I zipped through all 15 books for the first time when I was in 10th grade. No time like the present to revisit the Escondido gang in honor of Robin Jones Gunn's recent addition to the series. Years after everyone thought she had closed the book on Christy and Todd, she emerged this past March with Peculiar Treasures. You better believe I'm going to read it. Nevermind the fact that I'm about ten years older than her target audience.

Based on the above cover image, anyone could reasonably deduce that the books are chocked-full with cheese. They tell the story of a young believer who struggles through her teen years, discovering what it means to follow Christ and how her identity in Him transforms view on relationships. It's not Pulitzer-winning stuff, but when I was 16, it contained powerful truths. Even now, I find myself suprisingly challenged by Gunn's words.

Yesterday I was reading book number 5 (Island Dreamer. Please hold all of your inevitable snickering until the end, thank you), and I came across the chapter in which Christy realizes that loving people doesn't mean wanting to transform them into your likeness. A visit with her former best friend, Paula, has Christy re-assessing their friendship. Since Christy's life-changing summer, she and Paula began travelling down two different paths, with very different views. Instead of sweetly, gently and respectfully showing and telling Paula about her new life, Christy turns jealous and protective. She is far from nice.

I don't know why, but I literally had to put the book down and think. I find myself in similar situations often. I want to be displaying Christ, but all too often, my efforts are overturned by my brat-nature. Praying for our enemies can include praying for those people that really challenge us relationally. Thanks Christy. Maybe I'm not too old to learn from you after all.

1 comment:

Carla Jean said...

I sped through those books when I was in college, because so many of my friends who were youth group girls during their high school days RAVED about them. I loved them, too, even though I was 20 when I encountered them!