Monday, July 14, 2008

Get Art

For months, I've been reading Samantha Kira's blog about art journaling - a multi-media art form. I'm intrigued and inspired by her ingenious use of old materials. She creates the most beautiful backdrops for her words. Every page is a masterpiece.
So, I went out and bought a blank book yesterday. I have the raw materials. I bought her instructions on how to get started. And yet, I'm paralyzed by the blankness. The minute I put something on paper, I will inevitably fail to represent what I see in my head. Therein those white pages lies great potential. The instant I try and create, I will marr it.
I'm really in love with the idea, however. I like to think of my journal being my own personal art exhibit where I'll make/write/express for no one's eyes but my own. I think so often, I alter what I write or make because I know that others will see it. Something is lost when I start thinking about how I will be perceived. If I'm really doing what I love, not because of the praise or affirmation I'm getting from it, the sheer act of creating should be my JOY.
So, I have great hopes that my art journal will be my freedom from needing a pat on the back from anyone. Seeing my name in print has become my drug. I need to revisit the reasons why I do what I do. I really am excited. My pen, paintbrush, glue gun, camera are all poised and ready.... may my first mark unleash my uninhibited creative muse.

No comments: