Sunday, July 6, 2008

Day of (Much Needed) Rest



"I want to drink God, deep draughts of God. I'm thirsty for God-alive." (Psalm 42, msg)

Camp Greystone specializes in the Sabbath. Among the many things I learned from my one summer as a counselor there was the true meaning of slowing down and enjoying the day of rest as it was intended. Sundays at camp are truly days set apart.

For those that didn't want to get up for an early run, Sundays meant sleeping in late, milling around the cabin before a warm breakfast, followed by a leisurely in-cabin morning. Church and Sunday school preceded lunch, after which everyone in camp returned to their quarters to dress in "whites." An extra-long rest hour set the tone for an extended free period and a dinner of leftovers.

Sundays were indeed the most glorious of days. I didn't have to teach any classes. I could catch up on my much-needed rest. I could read. I could sit by the lake and gaze into the twinkling diamonds of light reflected off of it's glassy surface. I could think, journal, breathe.

The Lord's Day was not for making to-do lists, thinking about all that awaited me on the other side of night. I think Sundays were purposed to force us to stop planning and just enjoy today for all that it is, to remind us that God is a well of water from which we can drink... slowly and deeply.

No comments: