Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Slam Dunk

image from here

Oh, I meant to tell you about this long ago, and was just reminded of it as I sat at my desk enjoying an afternoon pick-me-up. You see, I was introduced to this delicacy during my last visit to NYC (thanks to my hospitable hostess). This wafery-chocolatey cookie is called a Tim Tam and it comes from heaven above (or, to select American cities by way of Australia). New York is of course one of these premier locations. Birmingham, Alabama....not yet. Maybe like most fashion trends, they'll make their way down South, and then west, and then west....in a few years. I was delighted beyond delighted when my savvy Upper West sider friend smuggled some home for me last week.

So, what's the big deal about this cookie? Well, not only is this a stand-alone delicious choice, it is unparalleled in its excellence when combined with a cold glass of milk or a warm cup of joe. And alas! You may reach the pinnacle of enjoyment when you consume it with the "tim tam slam" method. For its utmost indulgence, you must bite off opposite corners of the cookie, inserting one into a hot cup of coffee. (The next step requires finesse and speed, and is not for the Emily Post devotee, as it will cause you to behave less than lady-like for a moment's time.) Wasting not another minute, you must then inhale your coffee as it rushes through the crispy layers of the cookie. When you get your first taste of coffee, time waits for no man. You must shove the entire cookie into your mouth, where it explodes into a chocolate pyrotechnic and you succumb to a coffee-soaked oblivion.

I googled this phenomenon, and, was not surprised to find that it's a thing. I even found google images of people slamming. And the great news, I found a site where you can order these goodies, and get them delivered to your doorstep. Thank goodness that the Aussies are so generous as to share with us.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/eatmycharlotte/2010/02/04/tim-tam-slam-a-messy-affair/

Tim Tam's are in Charlotte at Target from October to March? Maybe we just have to wait?