Saturday, April 16, 2011

Savouring the Material

As Lenten season comes to a close over the next week, a revisit to this morsel of wisdom seems appropriate. I devoured the book last year, and feel the urge to go back to its pages for a reminder of how our God dwelt in our humanity, enjoyed the fruits of the Earth, ate good meals and saw the hand of the Creator on Creation. I am hungry for a portion truth that speaks to God's presence in the things of my day-to-day. If this book's author can wax poetic about how slicing an onions speaks volumes about theology, then I too can look to find the mystery in the mundane, the "cross in the clothespin."

I don't intend to make small a God whom the universe cannot even contain. But, I do hope to, over the next few days, really wrestle with the humility it took for a God so expansive, so wise, so all-knowing, so endlessly patient, to:

fit himself into a body like mine

share meals around a table

speak a true message both lovingly and boldly

be a physical, actual friend to people

It is boggling tho think that His feet walked our planet, that He tasted the things I taste, that He was who He is and where I am.


No comments: