Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Let It Leaven


It's that time of year again... time to sigh and take a look at the months past, time to gear up for those ahead. It's about time to be resolute about something in the new year. For a few years now, I've been known to make rhyming claims about the time before me. Two years ago, my hope was to get back to craft, last year to begin again with a new outlook on life and career. For 2011, I'm thinking both specifically and vaguely.

I do declare that I want to "Let it Leaven in 2011."

That said, quite literally, I commit to learning the art of bread making. I hope to dirty the pages of this book, to get some face time with legit artisan bakers and to sink my hands into the dough of tens of varieties of loaves. I've made a few starter loaves, but I'd like to amp it up this next year, and get better at bread.

On the other side of the coin, I'm hoping that 2011 is a year during which my letterpress hopes and dreams will have room to rise. For the last year or so, I've planted seeds, watered them and waited. Now, it's time to let the yeast do it's natural thing, and aerate. It's time to watch things grow. While I don't make any promises, nor do I set too high expectations for myself, I do want to see change happen this year. I'd like to stash away more and more capitol to someday soon be able to buy a press and open the studio of my dreams.
I'm willing to work, and I'm willing to wait. I just pray that given some room to grow, these plans will make some headway this year.
What are you scheming for the year ahead?

3 comments:

Carla Jean said...

I like that, a lot. I think I'll do some leavening, too.

skip said...

That's a fantastic book! Check out one of the restaurant supply stores (bresco / Dixie) in town for large clear plastic containers for letting the dough stand. They have loose-fitting tops and do the job very well.

kristen said...

I want to watch things grow, too. I like your rhyming claims. my friend mollie (who you would like) always makes great lists for the new year so I took my cue from her.

this year i will endeavor to…
laugh every day
make music
keep reading
have people to dinner more often
apply to grad school
write
eat less carbs
exercise regularly
call and write and be present for friends
spend more time with my girls one-on-one
love michael better
make a cozier, tidier home