Sunday, May 2, 2010

May I Present To You...

...May Valentines!

I had the serendipitous chance of being able to print these babies down in Gordo, on a German Asbern (similar but not identical to Vandercook) press, beside the renowned Amos Kennedy. I fiddled around (with some difficulty) with the new-to-me machine. While the print quality of these cards are quite different than their predecessor Calendartines, they are unique and special, no less.

While I shared the studio with Amos, he offered me aphorisms and some words of encouragement in between his visitors to the shop. "Find your bliss," he told me. Once you find it, find a way to follow it. Amos also informed me that beer has most of the nutrients of a healthy diet.

Below are two shots of his shop in the map dot that is Gordo.


Amos' printing style is considered a bit more haphazard by some. He slaps ink on the press messily. I even saw him (gasp!) using his pocket knife to scrape globs of ink off of his print surface. His methods are sure untraditional, but he's got an aesthetic and attitude all his own. He certainly heeds his own advice to "proceed and be bold." It was a pleasure to be able to turn the crank in his company.

If you'd like to purchase a May Valentine, you may do so here or in person here. (More brick and mortar retail locations coming soon, so keep your eye out on the blog or on twitter).

No comments: