Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Gift of Giving

Taking a nod from a friend, I invited my book club to join me this month in reading and committing to the 29 Gifts project. The story follows Cami Walker, a woman who was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in her twenties, as a very newly wed. With the loss of her mobility, freedom and functionality came an understandable sour attitude. But, when a "spiritual mentor" encouraged to focus on giving to others for just 29 days, she learned something quite profound about what she still did have to offer to the people in her world.

I'm only four days into the project myself, but am already finding it to be quite instructive. I've questioned my motives for giving and have pondered the idea of giving out of poverty rather than abundance. I've tried to think outside of the realm of people I already know and love to serve. With 25 days left, I know I'll continue to plunge the depths of the oceanic idea of generosity.

Come back here for an update, or even better, I challenge you to join the cause!

1 comment:

Annie said...

Can't wait to here about your journey through the book-- and what your own book club thinks. It was a hit for us!