Monday, May 10, 2010

Let The Word

Google images fails me. I have a vision in my head, a picture I want to show you, a story I want to tell. But a search engine proves insufficient for the task of aiding me.

Recently, my pastor's wife shared with me that when she prays, she often visualizes a room where the Lord waits on her to come and visit. The very minute the words were out of her mouth, I had my own mental picture appear:

I saw a stone cottage set within the woods, a sunlight room beside bookshelves peppered with colorful old titles. I saw a worn wingback chair and a fireplace....a perfectly inviting scene. It is what I now see when I envision approaching His throne of grace with confidence.

How often do I neglect to come to the Lord for a visit because I'm too busy, too scatter-brained, too tired? How long does He wait for me in that beautiful cozy scene in my mind?

I must admit, I've been incredibly self-centered, bordering on falsely self-sufficient as of late. Here's my admission both to you and to the Lord.

I'm fooling myself.
I'm just as desperate for His Spirit.
I'm nothing on my own strength.

I vow to spend more time in that sitting room, saturating myself in His wisdom and Word, to let it dwell in me richly.

2 comments:

rebekah said...

Is it in the Cotswolds? I've often thought I would be able to talk to him there. :)

skip said...

You might have better image-finding luck with Flickr's collection of Creative Commons licensed images. Photographers allow you to use their photos (with a few easy stipulations). Just make a search, go to Advanced Search and select Creative Commons. They've got lots.