Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A Thankful Heart Prepares the Way

(lovely centerpiece, brought to you by design sponge)

The calendar has brought us to Thanksgiving once again, reminding all to stop and say a few words of thanks for things and people that bring our lives color and flavor. In keeping with a tradition, here is a list of some things I'm flowing-over-full glad for this year.

A: Abby, my roommate, friend and creative instigator.
B: Bici Bike Coop and the way that it's helped to bring a resurgence of cycling in the Magic City.
C: Cheerwine: North Carolina's most notable contribution to carbonation.
D: Dark Chocolate and Lavender: a exquisite combination that recently has won me over.
E: Enter the Worship Circle, and particularly this old favorite, that reminds me that giving thanks makes way for Him.
F: Free rent for two months. An unfortunate foreclosed rental property that turned out to be quite the financial blessing.
G: Greyhaven and the way it brings Birmingham's musical community together.
H: Hairbows, and the way this lovely girl has given them renaissance.
I: Ira Glass and his uncanny ability to find and tell a story.
J: Jamie: because she's got the softest bed covers this side of the Mason-Dixon (among some other reasons.)
K: Kennedy, Amos: A Gordo printer whose artistic abandon and wise words have blazed a trail for me.
L: Layoffs: My own, in particular, that has given me the energy and courage to follow a thrilling, meandering path.
M: Marriages that give me something to learn from.
N: Novels, and my recent revisitation to works of fiction. It had been too long.
O: Otium Sanctum: an inspiring group of women that push me to slow to see the cross in the clothespin, beauty in the quotidian.
P: Penland School of Crafts: The place where my inner artist was resurrected.
Q: Quilting, and the goals I have to learn the art.
R: Redeemer Community Church: The church both gathered and scattered.
S: Sisters, sisters. Mine, in particular.
T: Twitter, and the ways in which it has started conversation. (Though, ask me tomorrow, and I may have a different opinion, altogether.)
U: Urban Standard, for the way that it gives space and voice to the creative class of our great town.
V: Vampire Weekend, and the mix-it-up-ness that their music brought to my repertoire this year.
W: Wadsworth Longfellow, Henry, and his words that have been a mantra of sorts.
X: X-acto knives. I actually got a lot of use out of mine this year.
Y: You. Chances are, if you're reading this, you mean something to me.
Z: Zooey Deschanel. She's just so darn cute, and I adore her movies and music.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

You're so inspiring, Cory. That post is lovely...I'm so thankful you're my friend. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
ps...I've been reading Kathleen Norris's The Quotidian Mysteries - it was referenced in Eat This Book. I think you would like it as well - it's all about finding the beauty in the "cross in the clothespin."

Keith said...

I am new to this tradition and I fully support it. Thanks for the shout out in (Y)! Looking forward to thanking with you later on!

Keith said...

Jinks Stephanie!

Jamie said...

cory...you like me for my bed??? That's all that was worth mentioning!?!?! gee whiz.

Elisa M said...

This is lovely (and not just because Bici is mentioned!)