Monday, November 30, 2009

Watching and Waiting


I sit and wait. I twiddle my thumbs and wait on God.

I ask and I seek and I rest in silence. I put my money in the bank of His faithfulness even when my actual bank account is meager and my circumstances are unchanging.

This season of advent marks the remembrance that God is back, looking to the needs of his people. During the next four weeks, join me to wait expectantly for the coming of Emmanuel.

As I find myself waiting on a great many things this year, I am reminded that my prayers should be less like a laundry list of requests and more like a simple call for more of His Spirit.

The truth is He has come, He is coming. The truth is that I am told there is a time both to work and to watch. I am told to:

Be still before the Lord, all people, because he has roused himself from his holy dwelling. (Zechariah 2:13)

An old adage suggest we put things in front of our eyes to remind our hearts of what is authentically lovely. Here are a few suggestions of easy handmade decorations for the Advent:
-paper chains (see above). Depending on your fancy, either add to it or take a piece away each day leading up to Christmas.
-patterned banners like this one here.

2 comments:

Abby said...

a couple of things...

1. I was also thinking an advent wreath might be in order, all other disorder in the house notwithstanding.

2. In my journal yesterday, as I was reflecting on the start of advent, I wrote "learn to labor and to wait," and , of course, thought of you. A perfect piece of wisdom for this season

Anonymous said...

You're a lovely writer, and I miss reading your words. My own fault, cause I haven't been here lately. I'm making it a daily trip. Keep 'em coming, friend.