Thursday, January 6, 2011

With My Own Two Hands



I've got two hands. Movable, bendable, agile hands. Hands that can sweetly scratch a back or offer a firm handshake. Hands that can ice a cupcake or affix a letterpress plate to a boxcar base. I've got two hands that can stretch out over the keyboard to put letters, words, sentences to my thoughts.

I've got one mind. One fantastically complex, perplexing, twisted, sometimes slow-to-process, sometimes million-mile-an-hour mind. One mind that I don't feel has been put to great use as of late.

This realization has initiated some interesting thought about how to use my mental faculties in my work, whatever it is, whatever it ends up being. I love being at work with my hands. It's been a sensational liberation to find satisfaction in this kind active, tactile productivity. But, I do wonder when/if/how I can combine trade skills with white collar work. How can I put my education, my analytical thought, my creativity to good use?

My prayer is to find a way to marry the two. Lord, let it be so.

No comments: