Friday, January 28, 2011

I Lie Like a Rug

I'm sorry. I set a misleading precedent, saying that New York was inspiring the heck out of me and that I'd be reporting like a fiend during my week here. It's not that I haven't had the inspiration, it's just that I haven't had the time. My FMO* is heightened this week. If I'm not out in the city's living room, I feel like I'm not carpe diem-ing. I even feel like I'm wasting my time with sleep. There's so much that I want to be doing, seeing. So many talented creatively-spurring people that I want to talk to. There are so many rich patterns, textures and colors to this city. So, while I could write a diatribe about all I've been observing, for now, let the following brief recap suffice. I'll surely fill in the details later. Because, as I read about in a book of blog excerpts at the Center for the Book Arts' current exhibit,

"As Henri LeFebrve pointed out, without considering the quotidian one loses sight of the actual process of historical becoming. Events become imbued with a false sense of springing from a solitary moment rather than as results of accumulated minor actions. At a micro level, it's in the there and now that individuals exist, and it's through the recounting of these events that people mold their experiences into memories they can live with and knowledge they can build upon."

A Lunch enjoyed watching the Bryant Park skaters

A stroll through Brooklyn Bridge Park

A quilt from an exhibit at the American Folk Art Museum

The Center for the Book Arts

Art at the Center for the Books Arts

Central Park after the big snow.

An installation of antique sewing machines I really liked at a Soho boutique.

Me and my bud after an exquisite Restaurant Week meal.


*Fear of missing out.

1 comment:

Claude Scales said...

Hi, Cory,
I found your blog because I have a Google alert for anything that mentions Brooklyn Bridge Park, which is next to where I live in Brooklyn Heights. It's good to know you had an enjoyable visit to New York. You and my wife share two interests: she's a member of the Center for Book Arts, and she loves antique sewing machines. By coincidence, I have a friend from "The Ham" named E.J. Cory, who is a fellow Brooklyn Heights blogger and member of Grace Church. Oh, yes, and my daughter, as her community project in high school, helps out at a bookstore called Bluestockings.
If you're ever headed back this way, give us a shout, y'hear.