Sunday, August 8, 2010

Squint to Believe

(image of my quilt in-the-making)

In the process of creating my patchwork quilt, I was advised to lay out my squares, take a step back, and squint at the layout to check for color distribution. You don't want too many of the same color schemes sidled up next to each other. Neither is it advisable to have blocks of overwhelming patterns concentrated in the same area. "You can't see where you're cluttered when you're too close to it," I was told.

And, if this principle isn't also true in regards to my busy life. Sometimes it takes me climbing to an aerial view to get needed perspective. Though I don't believe my humble earthly position will ever allow for full understanding of my experiences, I'm so thankful for small stair step climbs that show me, however briefly, that my swatches are being sewn into the whole of something larger.

2 comments:

Elisa M said...

Oh it is beautiful! I can't wait to see the finished product.

Christine said...

cory I am making a patch quilt too! So fun. Where did you find your plaids though? I am having the hardest time finding good plaids...I may go to the thrift store and buy some old mens plaid shirts...

-Christine