Friday, August 20, 2010

End Results

(image borrowed from Chronicle Books)

I have a tendency to be results-driven, sometimes enjoying finished products more than the process it takes to make them. Nothing beats admiring a stack of multi-colored, scored, folded, sleeved priced letterpress cards. Likewise, I've been getting quite a thrill from watching my quilt come together row, by finished row. And naturally, I enjoy having a table set with a meal that my hands have labored to create. But, I wonder if I'm sometimes too bent on the finishing that I'm not enjoying the joys and hardships of the step-by-step. If I'm too concentrated on the end, I'm sure to miss out on the scenery. Lord, help me to see both the trees and the forrest, even be able to stop and meander off the path for a spell, wide-eyed and willing.

1 comment:

Annie said...

Sometimes I think this is a mark of the overachiever: to get caught up not in the process, but in the end result. The computer and increased technology have spoiled us with immediate gratification. There's rarely a process to enjoy anymore. Thanks for the reminder that as that old cliche goes, the joy is really in the journey, not just the destination.