Monday, June 21, 2010

Rest Assured, Mama, I'm Insured

I did it. I just bit the bullet, after nearly a year of teetering on the edge of the life of risk and prayer. After living a life uninsured, getting by with crossed fingers and good faith, I'm now an official individual health insurance applicant. Breathe easy, mom.

I'm not happy about the chunk that I'll see leave my bank account each month.

I'm not pleased at the thought that, in the prime of my health, I'm not likely to need the back-up plan.

I'm not jumping for joy at my current job's inability to provide a better option for me, nor am I hopeful that I'll have a position any time soon that will shower me with the same cushy plan I used to know.

But, this is the plight a freelancer, (dare I say) an artist, a dreamer. And, I did promise a family friend that I would give myself this birthday gift. I can rest a little easier knowing that (God forbid) a serious or silly little accident will not put me into a lifetime of debt.

So, there it is. I'll be twenty-five years old this Friday, and am taking kicking-screaming steps towards maturity. Happy birthday to me.

3 comments:

erin said...

i'm glad for this. if i had not had insurance, i would be over $65,000 in the hole right now. good move, little one :).

Melissa said...

ditto. i'm not surprised erin commented, too. as soon as i saw this post i was like, WHEW. you never know what's going to happen.

so glad you're insured. i would have been on your case like crazy had i known you weren't. i tend to be a mother hen about these things.

i'm going to try and make it tomorrow for a bit! will be good to see the ladies.

Patrick said...

You know the new health reform law lets you stay on with your parents until age 26, right? The insurance companies are supposed to be doing that by September 1st. It would save you some money, probably...