Monday, June 7, 2010

A Pictorial Post

While I'm quite certain I could fill another two weeks with eyefuls and mouthfuls of London and Paris, the two I had were just divine. See below for a taste of what I saw during my trip across the pond.

We happened into this bookbinding supply company en route to London's St. Martin's College of Art and Design's letterpress headquarters. What a nice find.

I quite fancied this afternoon in Southwark Park over near the Tower Bridge end of London. I learned a great deal about English football on this green.

The Borough Market near the London Bridge provided a nice leisurely stroll and piecemeal lunch one Friday afternoon. The offerings were both gorgeous and gastronomically pleasing.

The same day, I had my first (of two) experiences at Monmouth Coffee, located convenient to the Borough Market. Their coffee is individually brewed by the cup in something that looked akin to this here. In all of my travels, it was the best cup I had, hands down.

St. Paul's Cathedral on a sunny London day.

Cath Kidston in Chelsea! I was like a kid in a candy store.

Dressed to the nines, we saw Les Mis on a perfect evening out.

Our arrival to France was cold, grey and rainy. But, nothing could mute the colors of Paris, the true city of light. It didn't get dark until 10:30pm, affording us long post-dinner strolls through city streets. This shot is of the Louvre and its spacious and lively grand plaza.

The wait in line for Laduree was worth it for a taste of their homegrown macaroon. We tried the red currant, caramel with salted butter and bittersweet chocolate. Nevermind the fact that it took us about 1/3 of the time to devour the cookies as it did for us to acquire them.

This tucked-away treasure was site of some of Amelie's filming. I loved sitting outside this hilltop cafe observing French life away from tourist-ville.

When we reached the crest of the hill, we browsed the art of some trés talented street artists. I loved the light and detail of this fella's paintings. In the end, I had to opt to purchase a smaller, but no-less-lovely print of the view from Montmarte.

Taken from the top of the Sacre Coure stairs.

The upward view of the basilica.

Our afternoon spent lazing in the Luxenbourg Gardens was one of my very favorites. It was just the right spot to rest our walking-weary legs and to take in the Parisian palate of greens and greys.

I'll be back home this afternoon, fat and happy to have had the chance for such a wonderful trip. Many thanks to my willing and capable tour guide and travel buddy.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

you look like you're having a blast! oh this is making me want to go back... i hope you continue to have a lovely stay!