Thursday, May 28, 2009

Thumpety Thump Thump

Thumper's mama says: "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

Sage advice from a fictional bunny that has stood the test of time. If unable to insert something worthwhile, productive, and/or amusing into the conversation, I used to be a lot better about shutting it. I even received the following compliment-of-all-compliments several times because of it:

Cory, you don't say much, but when you do, it's worth a listen.

I fear that I'm not that girl anymore -- that I speak up more than I ought, that my words don't hold the weight that they did. Perhaps it's confidence that has been the culprit. Maybe it's just a growing vanity, the haughty assumption that people actually care about my two cents.
It's time to tip the balance back: to listen more, to chatter less.

1 comment:

wispy willow said...

I stumbled on this little bit of wisdom and it... ummm... shall we say, caught my attention. Gosh! Your words rang so true! I think I'll print them off and carry them around in my back pocket for a while. Sounds just like me!