Friday, September 12, 2008

Stepping Up


I’ve always shied away from voicing my political opinions. In an arena where I feel ill-equipped to speak from an informed and reasonable platform, I’ve silenced myself as a means of keeping the peace between the diverse groups of people in my life. I’ve run back and forth trying to placate everyone with my hippie “love, not war” philosophy. I think I’ve lost the will to speak up for myself. To be quite frank, I don’t think I even know what I want to say anymore.

In a song off Ben Harper’s latest album, he sings (pleads!):

I would rather take a punch than not give you a shot
I'd rather find out who you are than who you're not
Should have known better than to mistake business for love
Should have known better than to mistake a fist for a glove

It will be in your honor 'til you're not needed any longer,
Don't let them take the fight outta you,
Don't believe the headlines, check it for yourself sometimes,
Don't let them take the fight outta you,

The lies you live become you, the love you lose it numbs you,
Don't let them take the fight outta you,
They say that you've arrived but that's just a high-class bribe,
Don't let them take the fight outta you

I want my fight back! While I do desire PEACE, I also desire the return of my resolve. I’ve let myself become numb to the discourse, too timid to speak up and become a gentle, respectful participant in the conversation.

No comments: