Thursday, June 12, 2008

I think therefore I am.


I found this on Post Secret about a month ago, and it has been my desktop background ever since, not out of arrogance, but springing from a genuine hope that I will soon be content with the person that I'm turning out to be. As I've aged, I've become increasingly aware of my own sin and insecurity. Though "comparison is the one-eyed, bearded thief of joy," I have oft sized myself up against other more creative, talented, driven people. I envy them for their passion and their interesting hobbies. I covet others for their courage, their confidence, their social ease. I find myself just wishing that I had something -ANYTHING-that would give me more depth, that would guarantee that I will never be described as boring. My continual peace comes Scripture and from these words spoken by Jim Miller, one of the big daddy's of Young Life. He said, "One cannot be boring who is alive in Christ." And on this, I have to stand.

"My dear children, let's not just talk about love; let's practice real love. This is the only way we'll know we're living truly, living in God's reality. It's also the way to shut down debilitating self-criticism, even when there is something to it. For God is greater than our worried hearts and knows more about us than we do ourselves." 1 John 3:18-20 (the msg, emphasis mine)

No comments: