Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Train Trestle in Northport, Ala.

Me and Paul Simon, we're escape artists. We're always looking for a way out of discomfort. I've sat on my couch a handful of times in the last few weeks as this song spun on my record player. I've sung along, and laughed at the inventive ways ole Paul conceives to flee a scene. And only recently did it occur to me that I adopt the same wiley ways when it comes to figuring ways to make changes in my life.

Back last year, I read this article. It struck a chord. I adopted the author's suggestion to not get stuck in the now. Move, travel, take a class, take a risk. There is a season for wildness and a season for settledness, and this is neither. This season is about becoming.

Taking that to heart meant not being afraid to do something drastic. I decided that I was willing to take chances. Settledness has a way of creeping in. I was keeping vigil to make sure it wouldn't find it's way through my back door. Hurt, frustrated, lonely, bored. One thing after the other just drove my desire to want to get the H out of the place that I felt was leaving me longing.

I justified it all in the name of fighting complacency.

So, I carried on with my infamous scheming. I wanted to pen a great plan for my life, and I wanted the Lord to cooperate. Waiting on the Lord, I see now, maybe isn't quite so active as I thought. 

I don't know what the He has in store for my life, but I do know that I need to cool it. I'm going to practice being still for a while. No scheming, no list-making. When I'm chopping a carrot, I need to just be chopping a carrot.  Because, quite frankly, I don't think I've ever really tried that. 

No comments: