Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Turning Corners: How reading food magazines has made me a more ambitious cook


I feel quite at home in the kitchen, but by no means am I a magnificent cook. Trust me. I’ve made my fair share of mistakes. (I’m still reeling over the most recent deli turkey debacle – a result of my complete and utter misinterpretation of this recipe from Apples for Jam. Oh, it was bad. Really, really bad).

So, I’m the first to admit I don’t always have the instincts of a natural-born chef. While I do possess the occasional ability to improvise with what’s in the pantry, more often than not, I’m a fastidious grocery list maker, a recipe follower.

Be it for their voyeuristic quality (as we call them at work: “armchair reads”), or otherwise, I’m a huge fan of cooking magazines. I devour the pages of my monthly Bon Appetit. I turn corners down in hopes that I’ll have the courage and occasion to test my culinary capacities out on willing subjects.

The truth is not revolutionary. I love to feed people. I love to create. I love to make something and watch someone enjoy it. And cooking is one of the most tangible ways I can think to do it.

So, if you’re hungry, come on over. I’d love nothing more than another excuse to be daring in the kitchen.

On my list to try:

Gingerbread Cake

Chocolate Macaroons with Orange Ganache

Honey-Bourbon Toddy (with Apple Bourbon)

Spicy Fruit-Stuffed Pork Loin with Roasted Pears and Onions


1 comment:

jeremy hearn said...

Sign me up as a test subject.