Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A Woman's Place

I'm of the new wave of women that believe feminine domesticity doesn't mean male-domination. I park my desk in the school of thought that proclaims women's liberation can also mean choosing to submit. It's a hybrid set of values, but it is my own.

That said, when I read this article about men/women kitchen dynamics, it really resounded with me. I think, deep down, I fear that when/if I wed, I will be culinarily challenged by husband-- that he will rob my cooking-serving joy by usurping my skill and knowledge with his own. The truth is, I have some deep-running pride about my place in the kitchen, feminist that I am.

So does the writer of this feature. Read, chew, digest. What do you think it all means?

5 comments:

rebekah said...

Some of the most peaceful times have been cooking with Frank. :)

Kristen said...

My husband is a trained chef, so I'm happy to let him do the cooking. Though I do the baking -- he hates baking! Sometimes I do feel helpless that I can't cook FOR him. For instance, he is sick with the flu right now and I would like to cook up whatever he wants, but I can't because I'm not as skilled as him.

Jacob said...

I actually read that article from another source earlier this week. I get her points in regards to "her" territory, but in the end it all breaks down to communication.

Saying there can be only one cook is like saying there is a finite amount of love to go around. It's not a competition and there is no absolute right way to do ANY of it. There is your way, his way, my way, his sainted mother's way... you catch my drift.

To me this all seem s to break down to people being intellectually lazy in regards to their relationships. They want to define a rule (I cook! Not You!) and think that is that. Instead, if the talked, split time in the kitchen and took a chance, they'd find that they got what they wanted more often than not.

Besides, if you're being competitive with your mate, there are other problems. You're on a team together, not opposing sides.

(And Kristen- just because he can make something better doesn't mean you can't still cook for him. I'll never be Picasso, but there are crayon drawings my Mom wouldn't part with to this day, simply because I made them, with love, for her.))

Ryan said...

here's the deal, guys traditionally get way more excited about food. so me, as a foodie, see it as only pure joy to bring creative little treasures to life. i think the woman's best chance to compete in the kitchen is to learn to enjoy food like guys. and of course not just the mindless salivation, but as a shared pursuit of the finer things...

Grace Community Garden said...

My husband is the primary cook in our home. I love to bake and he really enjoys cooking the meals. He's creative and much better at cooking than I am so it works out very well for us. We have a nice balance.